Making a complaint

The Office of the Inspectorate investigates complaints from prisoners and from offenders in the community.

Generally, complaints should be resolved at the lowest level.

If you're in prison, this means using the PC.01 system. If, after that, you believe you have been treated unfairly or unreasonably, you can make a complaint to the Inspectorate.

If you're in the community you should speak to a Community Corrections staff member to try to resolve your concern.

In cases of urgency or safety, a complaint can be made directly to the Inspectorate. We can be contacted by telephone, email or mail.

The inspector who deals with your complaint will keep you informed about the investigation and outcome.

We might end up not agreeing with your complaint, but we will listen to your concerns and look in to it fairly.

Complaints help alert Corrections to potential problems and areas where improvements can be made.

There are other agencies you can make a complaint to, such as the Office of the Ombudsman and the Health and Disability Commissioner. Their contact details are on this website.

Inspectorate Complaint Procedures

The Office of the Inspectorate also reviews Visitor Prohibition Orders.

How to make a complaint to the Inspectorate

Phone: 0800 225 697


Office of the Inspectorate
Department of Corrections
Private Box 1206
Wellington 6140

The complaint should include the name of the prisoner or offender, the prison they are at and the relevant PC.01 number (if known). It should clearly outline the concern, and what has already been done to resolve it.

The Corrections website has more information about the complaints process on its Complaints about prisons page.

Making a complaint in other languages